- Job Title: Assistant Sales Manager
- FLSA Status: Exempt
- Department: Lubricants & Performance Materials Department
- Division: Functional Polymers Business Division
- Location: Remote (within 1-hour time difference with Eastern Time zone) or Rye Brook, NY
- Reports To: Business Director
- General Position Summary
This position is responsible for assisting Business Director in managing the business and the marketing and developing new customers and new applications by supporting planning and implementing the Mid Term Plan (MTP) and the budget in North America including Canada & Mexico as well as providing customer service and support, and performing administrative functions as necessary in order to achieve the Company’s objectives. This position also determines the strategic direction for expanding the growth of related products in North America in collaboration with Mitsui Chemicals (MCI) and Mitsui Chemicals America (MCA).
- Essential Job Functions
Primary Job Functions :
Support Planning the MTP and Budget
- by Regularly Meeting with Customers, negotiating supply agreements, pricing & terms, and obtaining customer commitment to source from Mitsui Chemicals America. Assistant Sales Manager is responsible for customer forecast, and sales volume for existing and new accounts and is expected to work within the allowed Expense Budget.
- by coordinating with other Sales team members for all account activities including scheduling Technical Visits, Commercial Visits, Customer Outings, and annual visits by upper Management.
- by assisting the preparation of MTP and Annual Budget based on Customer sales forecast including volume and pricing for both Direct Ship and from North American inventory in accordance with the strategies of Business Director and the policies of Mitsui Chemical America with other relevant members in the company;
- by clarifying the internal and external business environment;
- by analyzing the strengths and the weaknesses of the Products;
- by reviewing the performance and achievement of the previous terms;
- by identifying issues;
- and by establishing strategies, measures, and targets.
Implements and Achieves the MTP and Budget
- by providing input for setting and updating the MTP
- by achieving the targets set in the MTP and Budget;
- by making reasonable decisions in authorized areas with Business Director’s accord;
- by maintaining excellent teamwork with mutual respect and avoid conflict;
- and by maximizing profit for the MCI group as a whole;
- by increasing sales volume and revenue for all products;
- by collecting and analyzing sales trends, operating efficiency, merchandise delivery, best practices, and customer needs;
- by identifying and tracking market trends;
- by providing information to assist with sales proposals and various reports to Business Director and Management within MCA, and HQ;
- by maintaining existing customer base while building relationships with potential customers;
- by working with Division Staff to support current users;
- by providing excellent, timely customer service;
- by negotiating with customers for the best terms;
- and by requesting documents such as SDS, CoA, other reports from QA, Business Support team members, and MCI as necessary to secure customer approval.
Manages Accounts and Provides Customer Support
- by acting as customers’ primary contact for support;
- by regularly visiting and communicating with customers;
- by identifying key decision-makers within each customer company and developing positive business relationships with customers;
- by providing technical, quality, manufacturing, and engineering product support to customers;
- by monitoring forecast, product sales performance and regularly providing Management with analysis and feedback;
- and by following up on delinquent and overdue receivables.
Provides Technical Support to the Americas
- with the assistance of Mitsui Chemicals R&D, provide technical information and support to customers in the Americas in person, by video conference phone, and/or email;
- by training customers;
- by acting as a liaison between customers and R & D;
- by informing R & D of customer requirements and specifications, and following up to ensure follow-through; by providing quality control support and ensuring product specifications meet customer requests and expectations;
- by providing customers with regulatory compliance documentation upon request;
- and by responding to, and resolving, customer claims and complaints in a professional manner.
Develops New Business
- by identifying new sales and business opportunities, developing plans, and initiating actions to develop new business;
- by proposing multi-year contracts for customers with large annual sales as necessary, providing rebates or free material to offset development expenses or other new pricing structures to secure Customer commitment and new business.;
- by identifying and tracking market trends;
- by identifying customer and market needs;
- by collecting and analyzing competitive intelligence.by identifying new potential customers through internal (under the cooperation with other division’s business directors, managers, and colleagues working in Japan & Singapore) and external research (research companies’ information, information from existing customers) by identifying key persons within new potential customers
- by creating necessary information such as presentation documents, technical information documents, quotation documents;
- by introducing our products to key persons identified through professional Conferences, giving Technical Papers and via telephone conference, or video conference, and meeting in person to share Mitsui Chemicals America Value Proposition;
- by verifying customers’ requirements and need for minor modifications of existing product or development of new grades, and pricing through the above communications;
- by providing necessary technical information and support to customers in the North Americas with products’ brochures, technical documents, samples in various forms in collaboration with R&D, Laboratory, Headquarter, and Supervisor;
- by organizing and conducting testing, technical evaluation, and investigation to support business development activities as needed for each customer;
- by receiving a timely update of customers’ progress on each testing, evaluation, and investigation with the necessary information, followed by reporting to Supervisor and those applicable;
- by arranging new business commencement with a credit approval (including the acquisition of tax exemption certification and credit assessment), SDS delivery, and updating price and delivery terms in cooperation with Sales Support, Business Support, and other relevant departments; If assigned, by assessing the need for product inventory for each customer and preparing domestic inventory quantity of products to meet customers’ demand, in consultation with Supervisor in requesting Headquarter to prepare necessary inventory or production;
- by assisting MCI visitors’ travel arrangements;
- and by concluding necessary contracts like nondisclosure agreement, supply and purchase agreement, joint development agreement, delivery specifications, and other kinds of agreements or letter of intent.
Act as Product Line Development Leader when applicable
- by coordinating MCI/MELS sales visits in NA with other Technical Sales Managers:
- by providing support to other Technical Sales Managers as needed such as technical training:
- and by checking and collaborating with Logistics or Sales Support for inventory management
Ensures Product Compliance
- by Supporting internal Departments as necessary to obtain requested customer documentation concerning compliance requests;
- by understanding Robinson Patman act for customer pricing, and applying principles in competitive price situations to comply with Antitrust regulations;
- by providing all necessary information for sample shipment to potential customers;
- and by taking necessary training from experts, and necessary internal and external training sessions designated by the company and Supervisor.
Common Job Functions;
- Express verbal and written ideas in a clear and accurate manner.
- Effectively listening to, and gains understanding from others.
- Deals tactfully and effectively, accepting differences of opinion.
- Respect cultural differences.
- Follows Company policies and procedures, as well as local, state, and federal laws and regulations as they relate to the functions of the position.
Comprehensiveness of Strategy
- Comprehends the importance of the Company's strategy; identifies the strategy within the MTP.
- Establishes an effective business/department/division role.
- Prioritizes issues and formulates successful action plans.
- Communicates the strategy of the business/department/division to Staff in an effective manner.
- Manages financial areas efficiently, always looks for ways to reduce costs, creates accurate and realistic budgets, tracks and adjusts budgets, contributes to budget planning as applicable.
- Examines departmental work processes, administrative procedures, etc., and proposes changes where appropriate, verbally or in writing; acts on constructive feedback from peers, supervisors, and customers in order to enhance efficiency.
- Understands duties and responsibilities, has necessary job knowledge, has necessary technical skills, understands company mission/values, keeps job knowledge current, is in command of critical issues.
Keeps Supervisors Informed
- Regularly updates Supervisors regarding workflow, the status of projects, customer accounts, etc.; report problems immediately to Supervisors verbally or in writing, in order to take the appropriate action in a timely manner, and to avoid or limit further liability.
Manages Time and Resources
- Manages a fair workload, prioritizes tasks, develops good work procedures, manages time well, uses resources provided by the Company (i.e. Company funds, information, tools, materials) in an effective and efficient manner.
- Takes appropriate actions to complete tasks accurately by the designated deadline.
- Displays willingness to be flexible in work assignments and otherwise support coworkers when needed; contributes to the professional environment of the office; understands role in the Company, and in their business team, and is able to contribute accordingly.
- Essential Job Requirements:
Requirements and Working Environment
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate (i.e., working in a business office with computers, printers, and telephones).
- The Staff Member must be able to travel on business or work beyond normal business hours as necessary.
Travel up to 2 weeks per month is expected.
Minimum Qualifications Needed
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, and/or government regulations in English & Japanese.
- Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals in English & Japanese.
- Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of Managers, Staff, clients, customers, and the general public in English & Japanese.
- Other Skills
- Must be able to use a computer and such applications like Microsoft Windows, Word, and Excel.
Experience and Education
- Bachelor's degree from a four-year college or university; and more than five years of international trade and logistics experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Experience and knowledge in polymer-related fields are preferred.